Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Hire some actually HELPFUL Admins

Development Team
    Quote Originally Posted by wizy View Post
    This has to do were the person background is from and how it effects there maturity
    Can you rephrase that.... (I ask this so much I apologize)
    -* MOON

#Moontatorship

Sodapop
    Their is many things to do as the job of a PR, it's tough for them to deal with spam and keep up with their work so just be respectful because at the end of the day they are the ones accepting your customs, gang logos, hosting events/gang spars etc.

Honestly, I don't feel that a change in staff is really going to help anyone. It might, but things won't be significantly different. Instead of pointing fingers at the PR's, I'd rather point fingers at Era's current society. Right now, Era is at a phase where the entire game is centralized around the PR. Now why is that bad? Allow me to explain:

First of all, PR's are pretty useless. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but think about it. Era is a very straightforward game. Most things are self-explanatory, and if not, there's NPC's who explain certain things. Era also is part of Graal. Last I checked, Era's not the only Graal game. There's also Classic and Zone. Although Era players do find these servers less appealing, some will occasionally venture to another server. What's interesting is that they'll usually spend many hours on this new server, even if they dislike it. It's likely that they'll spend a fair amount of time on a new server because of the sense of exploration. Exploring new gameplay, new areas, and even new graphics can be an enjoyable experience. But if there's a PR to tell you where everything is, you lose chances to explore areas that you find by mistake when looking for a certain place. Era's also a social game. I highly doubt that any of you can accurately say that you don't have friends on Graal. The interactions that many players have with PR's are much less fulfilling than having an interaction with a knowledgeable friend. I'm sure this sounds like a major tangent, but trust me, it'll come into play later.

So far, we've explained why players don't need PR's. So why does that make the players the problem? Simply put, it's because the players are the ones who make being a PR such a big deal. From my experience, when PR's get hired they are paraded either in start park or in the events house (honestly, I don't know if this happens anymore). Other players see this, decide that they want the recognition, and shoot for PR. This results in 3 major consequences: 1) Players are trying to increase the demand for PR's and are able to use peer pressure to overwhelm current PR's. 2) Massive amounts of players are applying to become a PR, even when they don't really understand the job. 3) The most disturbing consequence is that players are now willing to do anything to become a PR, such as trying to gun down other PR's or lying in their applications. What these consequences ultimately result in is what players are upset about: a perception of a highly inefficient PR team. Why I say "perception" is because the PR position really doesn't need to be doing much, as pointed out earlier. But because of these consequences, we have 35 PR's (this number comes from the staff list here on the forums) who are constantly overwhelmed by players. They don't need to be overwhelmed and we certainly don't need that many PR's; they're better off in a different positions where they can speed the development of Era.

So players, next time you want to complain about PR's, think about what you're doing. You're inflating the team and steering Era's society down the wrong track. I will admit that I'm not a fan of the current staff team, but still, they don't deserve as much heat as we're giving them. The best way to permanently fix issues like these is to shape the Era community into a society that's less dependent on PR's.

Sodapop
    Quote Originally Posted by General Wang View Post
    Honestly, I don't feel that a change in staff is really going to help anyone. It might, but things won't be significantly different. Instead of pointing fingers at the PR's, I'd rather point fingers at Era's current society. Right now, Era is at a phase where the entire game is centralized around the PR. Now why is that bad? Allow me to explain:

First of all, PR's are pretty useless. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but think about it. Era is a very straightforward game. Most things are self-explanatory, and if not, there's NPC's who explain certain things. Era also is part of Graal. Last I checked, Era's not the only Graal game. There's also Classic and Zone. Although Era players do find these servers less appealing, some will occasionally venture to another server. What's interesting is that they'll usually spend many hours on this new server, even if they dislike it. It's likely that they'll spend a fair amount of time on a new server because of the sense of exploration. Exploring new gameplay, new areas, and even new graphics can be an enjoyable experience. But if there's a PR to tell you where everything is, you lose chances to explore areas that you find by mistake when looking for a certain place. Era's also a social game. I highly doubt that any of you can accurately say that you don't have friends on Graal. The interactions that many players have with PR's are much less fulfilling than having an interaction with a knowledgeable friend. I'm sure this sounds like a major tangent, but trust me, it'll come into play later.

So far, we've explained why players don't need PR's. So why does that make the players the problem? Simply put, it's because the players are the ones who make being a PR such a big deal. From my experience, when PR's get hired they are paraded either in start park or in the events house (honestly, I don't know if this happens anymore). Other players see this, decide that they want the recognition, and shoot for PR. This results in 3 major consequences: 1) Players are trying to increase the demand for PR's and are able to use peer pressure to overwhelm current PR's. 2) Massive amounts of players are applying to become a PR, even when they don't really understand the job. 3) The most disturbing consequence is that players are now willing to do anything to become a PR, such as trying to gun down other PR's or lying in their applications. What these consequences ultimately result in is what players are upset about: a perception of a highly inefficient PR team. Why I say "perception" is because the PR position really doesn't need to be doing much, as pointed out earlier. But because of these consequences, we have 35 PR's (this number comes from the staff list here on the forums) who are constantly overwhelmed by players. They don't need to be overwhelmed and we certainly don't need that many PR's; they're better off in a different positions where they can speed the development of Era.

So players, next time you want to complain about PR's, think about what you're doing. You're inflating the team and steering Era's society down the wrong track. I will admit that I'm not a fan of the current staff team, but still, they don't deserve as much heat as we're giving them. The best way to permanently fix issues like these is to shape the Era community into a society that's less dependent on PR's.
    Then again they have so many because the population is growing and they need PR's from around the world so they can have active pr's in different time zones. Plus other staff (example; Graphics Team) aren't bother to be doing cop duty.. like patrolling the streets and checking reports or uploads because that isn't their job so that is why they have PR's in game.

You're right sodapop, I completely overlooked the fact that they answer reports and do uploads, but still, they're not as useful as other staff members. A way to efficiently remedy this issue would be giving other staff members a chance to volunteer to do these jobs for an "overtime" reward. Just to make it clear, I'm not trying to attack PR's, but instead, I'm trying to say that their talents can be used differently and more efficiently.

But overall, the point I was trying to make is that Era's society should be the one to blame, because it's causing all the problems, not the PR's.

Sodapop
    Quote Originally Posted by General Wang View Post
    You're right sodapop, I completely overlooked the fact that they answer reports and do uploads, but still, they're not as useful as other staff members. A way to efficiently remedy this issue would be giving other staff members a chance to volunteer to do these jobs for an "overtime" reward. Just to make it clear, I'm not trying to attack PR's, but instead, I'm trying to say that their talents can be used differently and more efficiently.

But overall, the point I was trying to make is that Era's society should be the one to blame, because it's causing all the problems, not the PR's.
    Their jobs is as hard as the other staff members. They have to deal with the players, the issues, reports. While the others focuses on development, but yeah I agree that some of them should take their jobs more seriously because sometimes I see some staff just fooling around in spar complex with their friends.

I noticed that you're trying to defend the PR position. I'm trying to defend the actual PR's, who are far more important than the position. You're right when you say that they have to deal with reports, but because of the way current society views them, some unfortunately get overwhelmed to the point where they can't do their job, and we can't blame them, their job gets hard. But, the point I'm trying to get across is that their jobs don't have to be as hard as they are. I think the best way to lift the load on PR's and let some of them allocate their talents to other positions is by making our community more independent. Don't you want PR's to be less stressed? Don't you want speedier development? PR's aren't going to solve your problems and answer your questions all the time, so why get into the habit of relying on them?

Quote Originally Posted by Sodapop View Post
    Their jobs is as hard as the other staff members. They have to deal with the players, the issues, reports. While the others focuses on development, but yeah I agree that some of them should take their jobs more seriously because sometimes I see some staff just fooling around in spar complex with their friends.
    I have to agree with the both of you. The 1:500-1000 PR/Player Ratio really gets you thinking about how much spam every PR must go through. I get enough gang spam in NBK from members asking for various things and it feels overwhelming. Apart from having to read every Pm, they have to check uploads, reports, etc. as you stated. PR's aren't appreciated for what they do on a daily basis for hours and are instead criticized at for not having hosted the right variety of events, as an example. Going on, I see no problem in admins hanging out with friends so as long as they don't abuse their powers and do their job. I mean, they are players too you know.

Thanks to iBliss for the Awesome Signature!

What we must to do????????

OreOs
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    PR's aren't appreciated for what they do on a daily basis for hours and are instead criticized at for not having hosted the right variety of events, as an example.
    Their will always be those people who will harass you just for attention or to make you look bad, I get this a lot when I was staff and still do. I just tend to ignore the rude and focus on those who really need the help.