Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BAIT AND SWITCH...... Just a little food for thought...

BAIT AND SWITCH...... Just a little food for thought...

Bait-and-switch is a form of fraud used in retail sales but also employed in other contexts. First, customers are "baited" by merchants' advertising products or services at a low price, but when customers visit the store, they discover that the advertised goods are not available, or the customers are pressured by sales people to consider similar, but higher priced items ("switching").

Game companies use bait-and-switch by making a product or in game virtual equipment that says it will do a specific task, and then after they release it without testing, change one or more of the effects of the item, usually after you pay to upgrade an item for the intended described effect. Even though the original item may be free, the upgrading costs real money, hence the use of bait-and-switch to describe this act. Terms of service does not exclude the company from changing the product without adequate testing upon releasing it, without any form of equivalent compensation.

Doubt refunds will ever happen..... but consider yourself... Hooked.

Join the Confederacy.... Feel free to contact me at [email protected]

Confederate States of Era!!

Era's system of nerfing and buffing is like buying a car and the next day you wake up to find it has been meddled with while you were asleep, making it better/worse. It's illegal in real life, but because it's online it's not. Quite unfair, really. But every game does it. I've always been a fan of compensation, but that will never happen.

Agreed.. But can you name a game that is "Popular" that does not allow you to sell your items to other players or to a "Shop" for either your asking price or at worst case scenario a price cut?

Quote Originally Posted by W R A T H View Post
    Agreed.. But can you name a game that is "Popular" that does not allow you to sell your items to other players or to a "Shop" for either your asking price or at worst case scenario a price cut?
    Well one right now, Boom beach. The sniper towers got Nerfed, and I can't get a compensation.

Trust me I get where you're coming from, I really do. The problem is that this is a classic example of technology getting ahead of society. There are no laws or legislations (apart from the T&Cs of the game or game provider) which says what a game can or cannot do regarding virtual items.

In real life, we have consumer protection laws which protect against stuff like bait and switch and other scams.

I'll be the first to say i've sunk only about 50 bucks into the game over the past year or so it was money well spent on a game... Considering i've paid that if not more for other games.... But wont drop another dime until we a get a ton more content... You would think after 10+ years and 100+ staff changes they game would be alot further along.... IEra is just a copy and pasted version of PC Era.... its not like they have changed much from its original form..

Quote Originally Posted by W R A T H View Post
    I'll be the first to say i've sunk only about 50 bucks into the game over the past year or so it was money well spent on a game... Considering i've paid that if not more for other games.... But wont drop another dime until we a get a ton more content... You would think after 10+ years and 100+ staff changes they game would be alot further along.... IEra is just a copy and pasted version of PC Era.... its not like they have changed much from its original form..
    Look around, nothing about Graal has changed in the past 10 years. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Unofficial Era News View Post
    Look around, nothing about Graal has changed in the past 10 years. Haha.
    Something changed, The word hat got removed!

As far as I can see it's a grey area because they are in the wrong for changing the items and are refusing refunds or compensations yet it is only morally wrong and they cannot be forced into it. However I may be wrong and there might be something forcing them to act but it's complicated because it is online and there are many countries involved so loop holes would be easy to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Greg View Post
    As far as I can see it's a grey area because they are in the wrong for changing the items and are refusing refunds or compensations yet it is only morally wrong and they cannot be forced into it. However I may be wrong and there might be something forcing them to act but it's complicated because it is online and there are many countries involved so loop holes would be easy to find.
    Agreed, Each country has there own laws when its comes to what is "Fraud" the game is free so odds are they will always have a playerbase to support the cause but i'm not sure how this have effected there revenue.... Based on what i've seen in the past..... Back on PC era where i first started you paid 1 time i think it was like 30.00 bucks for a life time membership to all classic and player created worlds now its on a month by month basis and if you paid before the switch you we grand fathered in and did not have to pay monthly but since they went to a pay by month the game has died... no more then 20 people on at any given time....

It is indeed a bait and switch technique. It is probably why they keep slowly nerfing the BAR due to everyone just using that gun and not buying every other one. I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future they release another gun that does 12 dmg and has less freeze then do the same with that one after everyone has bought it.

Really twisted system and there is no reason to not offer refunds. Hopefully a change is made soon, but I seriously doubt it happening. Greedy devs man